Built in 1685 by Richard Kennon, an English gentleman, it is considered the oldest brick house in the region, and thought by some to be the oldest in Virginia. It is located on the promontory between Swift Creek and the Appomattox River, and was simply called Brick House.

The peninsula on which it stands is often referred to as “Conjuror’s Neck,” because a Native American magician once lived there. The property is owned and operated by the Old Brick House Foundation.