The Greek Revival style Exchange Building was built in 1841 by a group of Petersburg investors who incorporated to construct a marketplace for commodities (primarily tobacco & cotton), as well as provide space for auctions and sales. The rectangular exterior is fronted with a Doric entrance pavilion and the interior houses a beautiful central 2-story rotunda rising to a dome and octagonal lantern. Volunteers for the Petersburg Preservation Task Force operate the City’s Visitor Center on the ground floor.
After serving as a museum dedicated to telling the story of Petersburg during the 10-month Civil War Siege in 1864 and 1865, it has now been transformed into a museum which presents the City of Petersburg’s vast history from the Peter Jones Trading Post on the Appomattox River, the Revolutionary War Battle of Petersburg through the Civil Rights history here in the 1950s and 1960s to today.
15 West Bank Street
Petersburg, VA 23803