Older than the County itself, Merchants Hope dates back to early colonial days when the parish was established (circa 1657). The architecture of the current structure, circa 1740, is described as a low-Anglican house of worship with Flemish bond brickwork. The Merchants Hope silver communion set was made in Charleston, South Carolina, and dedicated on the 200th anniversary of the parish. Along with the silver, a 1611 translation of the King James Bible, printed in 1639-40 is on display for special occasions.
Considering the long history of this parish, its survival and preservation are truly remarkable. The Church was reportedly used as a Union picket station in the Civil War, suffering considerable damage. In 1974 a Tetragrammaton, originally erected as a decorative motif in St. Mary Abbots Church (Anglican) in Kensington, England in 1696, was given to Merchants Hope under the condition that it be restored. This early Judeo-Christian symbol for Jehovah now hangs above the altar, the only one of its kind in North America. In 2006 the Church building underwent a full restoration.
Merchants Hope Church is a national and state landmark. It remains in continuous use as an active parish.
Allow 30 minutes for a visit.